Words on a Wednesday...

Usually we have wordless Wednesday but today.. I am fill with these words.. During my morning prayers, I read In Conversations with God, its a wonderful series of books, I that I grew up with thanks to my parents.. It goes through the church calender and today is the 26 week of ordinary time... I go to the book and open up .. BAMM! I'm hit!

The title is Following Christ..

"Jesus ask of disciples, of all of us, a radical and habitual detachment: The firm resolve to be the master of the things we use. We can never become attached to possessions. Those who have been called to live their vocations in the world need to give this struggle serious attention and keep it up! This struggle is all the more important nowadays when the desire for having, for owning and enjoying things has become the ultimate aim of many lives"

Now if that isn't speaking to me!!!

"If we can live without superfluous goods we will be to that extent closer to Christ's own life of detachment...."

The author ask these questions : " Do I really need this? Do I have many things I don't really need? Do I truly live out the consequences of Christina detachment?

"Do not fix your heart on anything that passes away. Imitate Christ, who become poor for us, and had nowhere to lay his head. Ask him to give you, in the midst of thew world, a real detachment, a detachment that has nothing to soften it."
St. Josemaria, The Forge, 523

Comments

Allison said…
An excellent meditation to consider. Thanks for sharing it.
Theresa said…
I think this is something we all struggle with. I know I do. We tend to think that more "things" are what we need to make us happy. But I find that the more I let go of things, the more I simplify my life, the happier I become.

Popular Posts